When we go camping, I love cooking over a campfire (see Camp Cooking Equipment You’ll Love)! I also want ease of preparation and clean up. After all, I’m camping to relax, not create more work for myself!
Last weekend, on our camping trip to Greers Ferry State Park, I decided I wanted to make a campfire dessert. We make smores almost every time we camp, so I was craving something non-chocolatey. I found this recipe in my old Girl Scout camping cookbook. Only three ingredients! I really liked the sound of that!
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 2 30 oz. cans peaches
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 can Sprite
- Start a campfire or charcoal.
- Line or grease the inside of a dutch oven.
- Drain the juice from the peach cans and pour into the bottom of the dutch oven.
- Add the cake mix on top of peaches. Do NOT mix them together.
- Add Sprite on top of the cake mix. It will begin to bubble, but just let it do its thing and don't mix it with the other ingredients.
- Put a lid on the dutch oven and hang it over a fire or on a grill. Put coals on top of lid to help the dutch oven to cook evenly.
- Let the cobbler cook 45-55 minutes. Then check for preferred doneness.
- Leaving the dutch oven next to the coals will help to keep it warm. We added whipped cream on top of ours, but ice cream would have been better.
* Any kind of cobbler fruit would work for this recipe. We plan on trying apple cobbler on our next camping trip!
* I recently found dutch oven liners on Amazon.com. This should make prep and clean-up even easier!
As you can see from the pictures, the recipe makes quite a few servings. We shared with the couples that were camping with us, and even took some back home. When I warmed up a bowl the next day, it was still just as tasty!
Are you a fruit cobbler fan? We’d love to hear your comment. Just reply below! Want to learn more about our travel adventures? Follow us on social media and subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
ChelJune 29, 2016 7:11 am
This would be such a great idea for camping or sitting out by the fire! I love it! Peach cobbler is amazing!